Saturday 30 July 2016

Stone and Shell Craft - Art Therapy for those with Alzheimer's

Such a lovely craft ... inexpensive, easy to do and so so pretty!!


Art Therapy is such an important part of our life now! 
Since introducing arts & crafts into our daily routine over two years ago, I have found it has had great benefits for my mum. She is happier, less agitated and has a purpose to every day now. 
Our latest project is stone and shell craft and we have made some beautiful paper weights!!
We collect our stones from a local river ...


Then using different media ... acrylic paint, nail varnish and glitter we start to transform our stones!

We have also been decorating shells! 

My mum loves pretty things and she is in her element using glitter!
We have found glittered nail varnish is easiest for her to apply.
Felt tip pens can be used to create pretty patterns on the shells.


My mum is so proud of her creations and she loves to give them away ... to doctors, nurses, friends ... in fact anyone who admires them!!


I believe Art Therapy can definitely improve the quality of life for those with Alzheimer’s. 
Art stimulates the brain, triggers memories and allows creative expression.
Every day we dedicate time to an art project with such positive results!

For more photos and ideas please visit my facebook page

LIKE the page to keep up to date with all our projects!

6 comments:

  1. Another wonderful example of creating purpose and joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO PRETTY!!! I LOVE your blog!!! So much I can learn from you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have given me lots of great ideas , I have Alzheimer's and need to be doing something that keeps me feeling good about myself; I am also easily bored so need to try different things to do. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased to hear that we have given you some ideas :) Not sure if you have seen my blog about online activities? If you have an ipad there are some great websites to look at (online jigsaws, online colouring etc). Hope you enjoy :)

      Delete