Saturday 11 June 2016

Making Paper Flowers - Art Therapy for those with Alzheimer's


Art Therapy is a powerful tool for treating Alzheimer’s disease. Arts & Crafts won’t cure the illness, but they can stimulate the brain in a new direction.
Research has found that art allows Alzheimer’s patients to bypass languageit can trigger dormant memories and encourage conversation.
It has been proved that art can awaken patients in cognitive decline as well as lessen aggressive behaviour
Art Therapy has been found in many cases to lessen symptoms, increase function and improve quality of life.

By introducing Arts & Crafts into our daily routine I have found that my mum is much happier and less agitated.
Crafts have given her back a way of expressing herself and provide her with a real sense of accomplishment.
Making Paprer Flowers - Art Therapy for Alzheimer's

Making paper flowers is one of my mum's favourite hobbies. As her Alzheimer's progresses she is finding it difficult to do complex tasks on her own but she is still able to cut out shapes using a template and follow an example.
I provide a template for petals and leaves and she will happily sit for hours cutting out the pretty, brightly coloured shapes. She particularly enjoys covering wooden kebab skewars with long strips of green crepe paper to create the stems!
Together we glue the stamens and petals to the stems and once she's done two or three with me, she's able to carry on by herself!
She's so proud of her beautiful flowers ... and so am I!!

Art Therapy for Alzheimer's
Somehow when my mum is immersed in her crafts she has real moments of clarity and her artistic flair re-emerges which is wonderful to see.
Art Therapy for Alzheimer's
My mum and I both find making paper flowers a wonderful therapy! These flowers make her feel valued and useful again
And for me, I can relax and enjoy spending time with her being creative ... its almost like the craft-time we spent before the Alzheimer's took hold.

Creating something beautiful that we can give to others brings us so much joy ... the Doctor's surgery, Memory Clinic, friend's houses are all brightened up with pretty flowers and our home is filled with ever-lasting happy memories of time spent together! 
Art Therapy for Alzheimer's


How to make a crepe paper flower

We find the premium quality crepe is best as it is strong so doesn't rip easily & can be stretched and curled for the petals and leaves.






The happiness that art and crafts bring can make all the difference in the life of a loved one living with Dementia.I hope my blog will be found by someone who finds it helpful and I would welcome any comments or other creative ideas to try!

www.creative-carer.com

11 comments:

  1. What a wonderful example of how a creative caregiver can comfort a loved one and bring them joy. This beats the use of medications to "relax" a person with dementia. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a lovely tutorial; i will use it with my mother.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Kasha. I hope your mum enjoys making these flowers as much as my mum does!!!

      Delete
  3. This is a wonderful tutoril. I have never been creative or artistic, but I believe I might could make these flowers without a lot of difficulty.
    Thank you so much and I saved your blog and will share it with others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment and for sharing my blog. I'm very pleased that you feel you could make these flowers :)

      Delete
  4. Fab and easy to follow will pass on to the activity staff at dad's home xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you Ayse! I hope your dad's home will be brightened by beautiful paper flowers xx

      Delete
  5. paper flowers

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdxdlK8GS-c&list=PLD4ZVTnB76a6GtGsXaNA-p7gyS9FH3H55

    Description:Paper Flowers - Get the best thought for how to make paper flowers. We provide the best thoughts and opinion for making paper flowers at home. Visit on my professional YouTube channel - "Paper Girl" This is my creative venture in which I make creative papercrafts. There are I have posted many tutorial videos for making paper flowers, watch our tutorial videos and learn about making paper flowers.

    Please Subscribe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdxdlK8GS-c&list=PLD4ZVTnB76a6GtGsXaNA-p7gyS9FH3H55

    Follow Us:
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/IdeasFactory
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/papergi99495387
    Google+: https://goo.gl/6ZNKNa #PaperCrafts #DIYPaperCrafts #RangoliDesigns

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Heather lovely flowers . I was wondering how you get the bend at the top when making the daffodils? Also that’s a good tip about the premium crepe paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gwen we gently bend the wooden skewer ... some times they snap completely :( but if you just bend them slightly you can wrap the crepe paper (and lots of glue) around the area and the glue stiffens and supports the bend. Also reed diffuser sticks are much softer and bend nicely ... not too expensive either ... like these ... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Musky-Waves-Reed-Diffuser-Sticks/dp/B0937C59LM/ref=sr_1_7?crid=I05ABT8LEYDE&keywords=reed+diffuser+sticks&qid=1637830272&qsid=257-6435702-3938129&sprefix=reed+diffuser+st%2Caps%2C172&sr=8-7&sres=B07JWL5DHB%2CB091CXVRBM%2CB0937C59LM%2CB08D7CNRP3%2CB094J5TRLV%2CB095RVN6Z6%2CB081NTTHJ6%2CB01B3QM92G%2CB081PCHD96%2CB07SCZ7PRX%2CB07QMBQHGR%2CB08BZ378XJ%2CB08HRFBXTN%2CB09694GDRB%2CB08TSX592N%2CB00Z280C7Q%2CB07LFVQ6DR%2CB07JK6MMF7%2CB08P1RH7J6%2CB07DNX2LBX ... and definitely pay the extra for the premium (Ialalian) crepe ... its so lovely to work with! ... mum has also done a video tutorial on daffodil making ... https://togetherinthis.com/paper-flower-tutorial/ Hope you enjoy making them :)

      Delete